Black Hole Master
A downloadable game for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Android
This game is in 'alpha' status. This means the game is in active development and can contain bugs. Features are not yet complete and will change between versions.
At the moment this game is two-player only. You need two game controllers and one friend to play this!
Black Hole Master is a simple, fast and difficult arcade game for two players. In a galaxy far away, an alien civilisation has mastered the control of stars and black holes. You are a Black Hole Master, a player trained for participating in the popular black hole battles.
This app is free on all platforms, it has no ads and no in-app purchases.
Black Hole Master is a light-hearted remake of an old classic, except with a cosmic twist! One of the first computer games, Pong, involved each player controlling a paddle which they would use to bounce a ball back to their opponent. Each time the ball touched the opponent's side of the screen, the player would win a point. In this remake, each player now controls a black hole! The objective; to use the gravitational for of their black hole and a slingshot motion to fling approaching stars back towards the other player.
The game is being developed by a group of scientists working in the LIGO Scientific Collaboration. We want to make free and fun apps related to our work. The LIGO project has built a completely new class of observatory that can detect gravitational waves. Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time. They are produced by violent cosmic events, such as the collision of black holes.
Please send us your suggestions, comments and bug reports so that we can improve the game. Thanks a lot!
Version 0.1.1, 08 October 2016
- Adding different background images for some menus
Version 0.1.0, 25 September 2016
- First alpha release for testing in science events and fairs
- Use two game controllers and follow the instruction on screen
- Press ESC to exit the 'endless' mode
- Press M to mute or un-mute the game
- Touch control for the black holes and the user interface
- two game controllers (tested with Xbox controllers)
- Windows XP SP2+
- Mac OS X 10.8+
- Ubuntu 12.04+
- a friend to play with (local two-player only)
- We cannot test or support the Linux version at the moment.
- Extract the downloaded archive with the OSX archiver
- Start the BlackHoleMaster.app file
- Unzip the downloaded archive
- Start BlackHoleMaster.exe
- Unzip the downloaded archive with 'unzip'
- Start BlackHoleMaster.x86 (for 32bit OS) or BlackHoleMaster.x86_64 (for 64bit OS)
We will publish this game for iOS and Android later, meanwhile you might want to try the apk file below for your Androind phone.